Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Freezing water.

1.)How much does water expand when it freezes?
According to my research, water expands about 9%. I did my experiment in an ice cub tray so it was very hard to see the difference because it was such a small amount of water.  I have noticed this in times throughout my life though, for example placing a plastic water bottle in the freezer, or putting water in a Styrofoam cup, the cup ends up breaking open. 

2.) When is water at its smallest point?
Water is at its smallest point at its liquid state. It expands when is is frozen, and in gas form it goes everywhere, so technically it is huge. 

3.) What happens when salt is added to the water?
When salt is added to water, it takes much longer to freeze. 

4.) Does the amount of salt added effect freezing point?
Yes it does.

In my experiment, put 1/8th of a tsp of salt in one cube(#1) and 1/4th of a tps in another (#2)and my last was just water(#3).  I checked them every 30 mins, the first time nothing happened. the second check #3 had pretty think shell on top, #1 was barely frozen on top, and #2 had pretty much nothing.  the third time #3 was pretty much hard all the way through, and the others were slushy still.  By the next half hour they were all pretty well frozen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment